First aid for Electrical shock

The danger from an electrical shock depends on the type of current, how high the voltage is, how the current traveled through the body, the person’s overall health and how quickly the person is treated.

An electrical shock may cause

Cardiac arrest

Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)

Respiratory failure

Muscle pain and contractions

Seizures

Numbness and tingling

Unconsciousness

When to contact your doctor

A person who has been injured by contact with electricity should be seen by a doctor.

Caution

Don’t touch the injured person if he or she is still in contact with the electrical current.

Call your local emergency number if the source of the burn is a high-voltage wire or lightning. Don’t get near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Overhead power lines usually aren’t insulated. Stay at least 20 feet (about 6 meters) away — farther if wires are jumping and sparking.

Don’t move a person with an electrical injury unless he or she is in immediate danger.

When to seek emergency care

call your local emergency number if the injured person experiences:

Severe burns

Confusion

Difficulty breathing

Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)

Cardiac arrest

Muscle pain and contractions

Seizures

Loss of consciousness

Take these actions immediately while waiting for medical help:

Turn off the source of electricity, if possible. If not, move the source away from you and the person, using a dry, non conducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood.

Begin CPR if the person shows no signs of circulation, such as breathing, coughing or movement.

Try to prevent the injured person from becoming chilled.

Apply a bandage. Cover any burned areas with a sterile gauze bandage, if available, or a clean cloth. Don’t use a blanket or towel, because loose fibers can stick to the burns.